Find out how to exchange your non-Emirates Driving License for an Emirates License:To legally drive in Dubai you may need to exchange your driver’s license for a UAE driver’s license. Moving to Dubai and changing your driver’s license is relatively easy for citizens of most countries and you should be able to drive in the UAE with minimum fuss.
To find out if you are permitted to drive in Dubai on your existing license,
Here is a list of countries with which Dubai has reciprocal agreements:
- South Korea
- New Zealand
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- United Kingdom
- The United States.
NOTE: Please call RTA at 8009090 for any changes to this list.
To exchange your license, you must meet the following conditions:
- Your old, foreign license must still be valid.
- You have to be a citizen of the country mentioned above with current resident status in UAE. This means that former residents of these countries who may be holding permanent driver's licenses are not eligible and you will have to follow all the steps to get a new license.
- If you are from CANADA then you need to provide A letter from the Canadian Consulate in Dubai to verify that the license is genuine.
- Driving license holders from Greece, Canada, Cyprus, Poland, Turkey, Japan & South Korea will require a translation of their driving license from their respective consulates.
If you are eligible and want to exchange your previous driver’s license for an Emirate one, you need to submit the documents listed below to the Dubai Traffic Department.
- Passport for residents (original & copy),
- Residence permit copy,
- Current driving license (original & copy),
- Translation of driving license (for some countries as mentioned above),
- Consulate letter (for Canadians),
- 1 passport-size photograph,
- Eye test certificate,
- No-objection letter from your sponsor,
- AED 360 for the transfer fee and opening a driving file.
*Fees are subject to change without prior notice.
Transferring your license in just 3 simple steps:
Get an eye test done. This can be done at any hospital or clinic. Give them 2 passport-size photos and mention that, it is for a driving license. There is a slandered RTA eye test fee of AED 120/- which is the minimum. At other locations, it can vary between AED 150/- to AED 170/- as well.
- Go to Dubai Traffic Department Driving License Section, from 7.30 am to 2.30 pm on a working day.
- Ladies can go to the Ladies' Section, where the work is even quicker.
- Fill up the application form & submit all documents to the officer.
- Take signed documents from the officer & pay AED 360 to the cashier.
STEP NO: 3
- Submit all documents at the data Entry Counter.
- Your name will be called out and your photograph was taken.
And that’s it, a few minutes later, you will receive your license.
This process is generally fast and painless and can be completed in as little as 20 minutes.If you don’t have an existing driving license and want to know how to get a driving license in Dubai, just tap on the link How to get a Driving License in Dubai