In this article eZhire rent a car will describe how to use your car headlights and other car lights? As your vehicle is equipped with a number of lights like the headlights, e.g. low beam and high beam, fog lamps, turning lights, parking lights, brake lights, and rear taillights. Each of these taillights has their own purpose and help keep you and the other people around you safe by increasing the visibility of the road in front of you, making you more visible to other drivers, signal your intent to turn, and also tells them that you are braking.
The Law About Using Your Car Lights
The UAE Traffic law has specific laws governing the use of your car lights and failure to follow them can mean stiff fines and black points.
- Violation: Driving at night without lights | Fine in Dh: 500 | Black Points: 4
- Violation: Driving in foggy weather without lights | Fine in Dh: 500 | Black Points: 4
- Violation: Driving a vehicle that does not comply with the security and safety measures | Fine in Dh: 500
- Violation: Driving a vehicle that is unfit for driving | Fine in Dh: 500
- The rear or sidelights of trailer container are broken | Fine in Dh: 500 | Black Points: 4 |
- The absence of back and sidelights of trailer container | Fine in Dh: 500 | Black Points: 4
- Violation: Failure to use signal light when changing the vehicle direction or making turns | Fine in Dh: 400
- Violation: If the lights of the vehicle are not working | Fine in Dh: 400 | Black Points: 6
- Violation: In case the changing lane light signs are not working | Fine in Dh: 400 | Black Points: 2
- Violation: The rear sign lights of the vehicle are not working | Fine in Dh: 400 | Black Points: 2
These are some of the lists of possible violations that you can commit if you are driving a vehicle with faulty lights or improperly using the lights in your vehicle. Not knowing when and how to use your vehicle lights can endanger you and the people around you.
The Anatomy of Car Lights
Your car is equipped with a number of lights and in order to properly use them, you must understand their purpose. Aside from knowing the purpose of the lights, you must also need to be familiar on how to use and activate them.
- Headlights: Your Headlight is your primary light when driving especially during the night, foggy weather, or during low visibility. Headlights help keep the road ahead visible and also helps signal other drivers of your presence. Generally, a car or vehicle is equipped with two types of lights, the low beam, and the high beam. The low beam headlight should be your primary headlight in most driving conditions as they provide the right amount of light and reduces glare that can potentially blind oncoming traffic. High beams are high-intensity light that provides a direct beam of light and should not be used when there is oncoming traffic.
- Tailights: Your taillights work in conjunction with your headlight and are typically activated when your headlights are on. The taillights help increase your visibility to other drivers behind you and allow them to judge your relative distance and speed to help maintain safe spacing and distancing.
- Daytime Running Lights: Daytime Running Lights started as a novelty for high-end luxury vehicles that are slowly being adapted to other vehicle classes thanks to the popularity of LED lights that are now being built-in modern headlights. Daytime running lights help increase your visibility during conditions where you don’t need a headlight like dim parking lots or driveway.
- Brake Lights: Brake lights are one of the most important lights in your car and we recommend that you do not drive your vehicle if one of your brake lights is not functioning. Cars have typically two types of brake lights, the low mount brake lights that are visible for a small vehicle like sedans, and the high mount stop lamp that help big vehicle as trucks see you when you are braking. Brake lights are activated when you step on your brake and help indicate to the driver’s behind you that you are slowing down.
- Signal Lights: Signal lights or amber lights are typically located in the four corners of your car, they are located inside your headlight assembly and taillight assembly. Most older cars also have them in their fender and new modern cars have them integrated in their side-mirrors. Signal lights help indicate that you are about to turn and you should use your indicator lamp before braking or attempting to make a turn.
6. Reverse Lights: Reverse lights are also important as they help tell other drivers that you are reversing your vehicle. This is extremely important especially in tight parking places or garages. Always check your surrounding before reversing back.
The Proper use of car lights can help to decrease road accidents and help make your journey safer. They help make the road more visible and they also make you more visible to other drivers.
If you are looking to rent a car in Dubai, rent a car in Abu Dhabi, rent a car in Sharjah, or anywhere in UAE,eZhire rent, a car provides daily, weekly, and monthly rental cars at highly discounted rates on daily, weekly and monthly rental.
If you want a fast & hassle-free car rental experience in UAE*, just use eZhire! Select any car for as many days as you wish and we will deliver the car to your doorstep! *With eZhire you can hire a car in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, Ajman, Fujairah & RAK
Download the app now and start renting!