Find out how to exchange your non Emirates Driving License for an Emirates License:
To legally drive in the Dubai you may need to exchange your driver’s license for a UAE driver’s license. Moving to the Dubai and changing your driver’s license is relatively easy for citizens of most countries and you should be able to drive in the UAE with minimum fuss.
To find out if you are permitted to drive in Dubai on your existing license,
Here is a list of countries with which Dubai has reciprocal agreements:
1.Australia 2.Austria 3.Bahrain 4.Belgium 5.Canada 6.Denmark 7.Finland 8.France 9.Germany 10.Greece 11.Ireland 12.Italy 13.Japan 14.South Korea 15.Kuwait 16.Netherlands 17.New Zealand 18.Norway 19.Oman 20.Poland 21.Portugal 22.Qatar 23.Romania 24.Saudi Arabia 25.South Africa 26.Spain 27.Sweden 28.Switzerland 29.Turkey 30.United Kingdom 31.United States.
NOTE: Please call RTA on 8009090 for any changes to this list.
To exchange your license, you must meet the following conditions:
- Your old, foreign license must still be valid.
- You have to be a citizen of the country mentioned above with current resident status in UAE. This means that former residents from these countries who may be holding permanent driver licenses are not eligible and you will have to follow all the steps to get a new license.
- If you are from CANADA then you need to provide A letter from the Canadian Consulate in Dubai to verify that the license is genuine.
- Driving license holders from Greece, Canada, Cyprus, Poland, Turkey, Japan & South Korea will require a translation of their driving license from their respective consulates.
If you are eligible and want to exchange your previous driver’s license for an Emirates one, you need to submit the documents listed below to the DUBAI TRAFFIC DEPARTMENT:
- Passport for residents (original & copy),
- Residence permit copy,
- Current driving license (original & copy),
- Translation of driving license (for some countries as mentioned above),
- Consulate letter (for Canadians),
- 1 passport size photograph,
- Eye test certificate,
- No-objection letter from your sponsor,
- AED 360 for transfer fee and opening a driving file.
*Fees is subjected to change without prior notice.
Transferring your license in just 3 simple steps:
Get an eye test done. This can be done at any hospital or clinic. Give them 2 passport-size photos and mention that, it is for a driving license.There is a slandered RTA eye test fee of AED 120/- which is minimum. At other locations it can vary between AED 150/- to AED 170/- as well.
- Go to Dubai Traffic Department Driving License Section, from 7.30 am to 2.30 pm on a working day.
- Ladies can go to the Ladies Section, where the work is even quicker.
- Fill up application form & submit all documents to the officer.
- Take signed documents from officer & pay AED 360 to the cashier.
STEP NO: 3
- Submit all documents at Data Entry Counter.
- Your name will be called out and your photograph taken.
And that’s it, few minutes later, you will receive your license.
This process is generally fast and painless, and can be completed in as little as 20 minutes.
- If you don’t have an existing driving license and want to know how to get a driving license in Dubai, just tap on the link How to get a Driving License in Dubai
NOTE: We do our best to keep this article up to date. However, we cannot guarantee that the information provided is always current or complete.
WAS THIS BLOG HELPFUL? JUST LEAVE YOUR COMMENT BELOW AND LET US KNOW.
TEAM eZhire 🙂
eZhire is the fastest way to Rent A Car monthly in Dubai UAE.
Rent a car with ezhire, download the app now: